Google today, the much-loved (and hated by many – ed) search engine,
He celebrates its 16 years.
Her story in brief:
– 1995: Larry Page and Sergey Brin (the two founders of Google – ed), had met in Stanford campus, to work on a new search engine. Originally it was not Google, but it was called: BackRub.
The algorithm was based on the principle of relevance of pages, known today as: Page Rank (or what remains of it – ed).
– 1997: registered the domain: Google.com
– 1998 was officially founded Google in a garage in Menlo Park (where currently there is also the headquarters of Facebook), Larry Page and Sergey Brin (the two founders of Google – ed) begins to take its first steps with what will become the most used search engine in the world.
– 2000: the birth of Google AdWords (Google’s flagship product which will become “the gold mine” for Google):
Google AdWords is the advertising management platform for text ads: Google’s main source of income.
– 2001: the birth of Google Image Search
specific search engine for images
– 2002: the birth of Google News
aggregator and news search engine
– 2003: the birth of Google Gmail
the “classical” free e-mail for users who wish to use them.
At the time it was Microsoft’s Hotmail, the world’s leading player, along with Yahoo! by number of accounts created by users with a need for e-mail, free of charge.
– 2004: Google goes public
– 2005: born Google Maps (which changed the lives of many of us, with its breath maps – ed) Google Earth and Google Analytics (which analyzes the website traffic, developing real statistics)
– 2006: Google buys YouTube (the video broadcast platform, the most used in the world)
– 2008: the birth of Google Chrome (the browser to “surf” the Internet), mainly, to take away market share from Microsoft’s Internet Explorer.
And also in 2008, it was born the operating system: Android (the smartphone revolution).
– 2010: born the first smartphone under the brand Google Nexus One
– 2011: riding the trend of social media, and especially to counter Facebook, also founded the social network: Google Plus.
And finally the much-discussed glasses that can record images with videos, photos, as well as to connect to the Internet: Google Glass.
But how did Google become so famous, great and powerful?
Not everyone knows this, and few remember (only those who can boast a long online experience lived those moments and “rode the wave” – ed)
It was 2001 when Yahoo! in Italy was the second largest search engine (the first was Altavista, that “grind” over 14 Million Monthly Users – ed) replaced the Inktomi search technology to introduce that of Google.
This move allowed Google to have high visibility, within the Yahoo! Search
In summary: Yahoo! had millions of users around the world who were using their services, but when they tried the information or products or even curiosity, within the Yahoo! search engine appeared the page with the Google logo and of Google search results!
Congratulations to the “guru” of Yahoo! They started the guillotine on the head alone!
The agreement Yahoo! – Google lasted from 2001 to 2004.
And so it was, that thanks to this strategy of co-marketing (extraordinary for Google and suicidal for Yahoo!)
He just ate the small fish from inside the big fish Yahoo!
The rest of the story, you’ve already read and know.